Since releasing my first and only pattern the Cosmonaut chunky hat, I have had big dreams of knitting it up in other yarn combos and adjusting it with tweaks… it is now nearly a year later and the yarn has sat in my craft room.
However inspired by my yarn diet – ie. knitting from stash, and the fact that at work we are collecting money and hats for the antifreeze project by off the fence, I decided to knit as many hats as I could in a few evenings.
I present you 5 hats made following my pattern with some modifications.
The first two follow the pattern as designed and add a pom pom. One notable thing is that the red pattern uses 2 yarns, as I ran out of the main dark red colour.
K3P1 brim –
This version just uses a different rib and only for 2.5 inches instead of 5 inches. The rest of the steps I follow just like in the pattern,
This version uses the pattern K2P2 throughout. Instead of knitting up to 8 inches I only knit up to 7 inches and then I fudged the decreases a little bit to stay sort of in pattern until done.
Stripey beanie version
This one has been on my mind a lot. I had some of the dark red yarn and yarn from my original pattern version and thought they would look interesting striped together.
for this version I used 9mm needle throughout and cast on 52 stitches. I then striped the colours together every two rows using a jog-less method. As described below:
- Begin a new stripe by knitting one round as you normally would in the new colour yarn.
- Lift a stitch. Before starting the next round, use your right needle to lift the stitch below the first stitch of the left needle up onto the left needle.
- Knit these two stitches together.
For images go to the source here.